🚨 Public Safety 4 min read Fort Smith, AR
Hey Fort Smith — UAFS gives all-clear after bomb threat forces campus evacuation

Hey Fort Smith — if you saw the heavy law-enforcement presence around the University of Arkansas–Fort Smith on Friday, here’s what happened and where things stand now. UAFS evacuated its main campus Friday morning after receiving a bomb threat, bringing multiple law-enforcement agencies, bomb-squad personnel and bomb-detection K-9 teams to the university.

The good news came at 1:37 p.m. UAFS announced that law enforcement had completed a thorough search of the entire campus, nothing had been found, and the all-clear had been given. University officials said there was no threat to campus and no injuries were reported during the incident.

The situation began at 9:23 a.m., when UAFS issued an emergency alert ordering an immediate campus evacuation because of a bomb threat. At that point, the threat had not been deemed credible, but the university treated it seriously while authorities investigated. People in offices and classrooms were instructed to leave without going back for personal belongings, while students living in campus housing were initially told to shelter in place inside their apartments and residence halls.

By 10:08 a.m., UAFS confirmed that the evacuation was specifically related to a bomb threat and canceled all Friday classes on the main campus. A later update said all main-campus activities, including classes and labs, were canceled and the campus would remain closed for the rest of the day.

As the morning went on, law-enforcement agencies from across the region joined the response. UAFS said a unified command post was established while officers, bomb-squad personnel and K-9 teams worked through campus facilities. During the search, officials said they had received no additional threats and had no reports of injuries.

The disruption also affected students dealing with end-of-week university deadlines. At 12:07 p.m., UAFS said deadlines scheduled for Friday, including payment and registration deadlines, would be moved to Tuesday. The university also said students would not be dropped for nonpayment Friday because of the emergency closure.

Dining service at the Lion's Den Dining Hall and Campus Center was also unavailable during the emergency. Meanwhile, UAFS said Peak Innovation Center and the Bakery District Center for Economic Development were able to continue normal operations because the evacuation and closure involved the university's main campus.

Then came the update everybody was waiting for. At 1:37 p.m., Chancellor Terisa Riley announced that the bomb squad and bomb-detection K-9 teams had finished sweeping the campus. Nothing suspicious was found, and UAFS said there was no continuing threat.

Students, employees and others who had evacuated were then allowed to return to retrieve personal belongings, although the university kept the main campus closed for the remainder of Friday. Anyone needing to retrieve items from the Stubblefield Center was asked to follow instructions from law-enforcement officers on site as buildings reopened for that limited purpose.

This happened during the first week of fall classes, which made an already tense morning especially disruptive for students just getting settled into a new semester. UAFS acknowledged that even though authorities ultimately found no credible threat, being evacuated because of a bomb threat can still be unsettling for students, employees and their families.

One important part of the story going forward is what happens behind the scenes after the campus reopens. UAFS said its emergency management team will conduct an after-action review of Friday's response. Those reviews typically look at what worked, where communication or procedures could improve, and whether any changes should be made before the next emergency.

For parents and students, the practical takeaway tonight is much simpler: the emergency is over, authorities completed their search, nothing was found, and there were no reported injuries. If you had university business that was affected Friday, check your UAFS email, student account and official university communications for updated deadlines or instructions before assuming the original Friday deadline still applies.

And for the rest of Fort Smith, this was one of those mornings where seeing multiple police vehicles and emergency crews around campus could understandably make people wonder what was going on. The response was large because UAFS treated the threat seriously until authorities could physically clear the campus — exactly what you want to see when there is even a possibility of a real danger.

Community takeaway: UAFS received a bomb threat Friday morning, evacuated the main campus and canceled classes while law enforcement searched the university. By early afternoon, bomb-squad personnel and K-9 teams had completed the sweep, found nothing and issued the all-clear. Nobody was injured, there is no current threat to campus, and the university says it will review the response to see what can be improved going forward.

Fort Smith Community Hub

Keeping our community connected, one story at a time.

πŸ“ Fort Smith, Arkansas · 479 · iam479.com

Source: https://www.uafs.edu/news/2026/campus-alert-evacuation-main-campus.php

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Fort Smith — Four finalists for city administrator: what’s at stake and what comes next

Fort Smith: Monday Roundup — Storm damage, Baptist Health questions, new visitor center, and roads to watch

Fort Smith Northside boys upset Bentonville